Sunday 23 June 2013

My Top 5 Pet Peeves with Cloth

So everyone has their own pet peeves about various things, I have to say that my CD pet peeves really bug me. Like sky rocketing blood pressure bug me. I would like to share my top 5 of these with you all.

5. Complicated Wash Routines

This one can really get under my skin. Cloth diapers are supposed to be easy and convenient. Adding a bunch of things into a routine just complicates things  too much. If your detergent isn't doing the job of cleaning your diapers you are either not using enough detergent or you are using the wrong one. If a detergent wasn't cleaning your laundry well you would switch detergents right? So why not with diaper laundry?

4. Unnecessary Additives

Things like Dawn, RLR, Vinegar, Washing Soda ect drive me nuts!!! You don't need them. If you have a build up from soap what is the point of adding more soap to the mix? RLR is good for removing mineral build up but at the end of the day you still have to do repeat hot washes to get it all out of the fibres so why add it in? A few hot washes on their own will remove build up just the same. Then there's washing soda. It is hard on fabrics and it is a major skin irritant. If it is not all rinsed away correctly it can cause major rashes and you may have fixed one issue but you now created a new one.

This ties into the above too in that if your detergent isn't doing the job you expect then why add in oxyclean, bleach or whatever? Why not just switch to a detergent that works.

3. Dawn to strip soap build up

This one deserves it's own point because this one makes me boil. Dawn is a degreaser, so it is great if you got a greasy non cloth safe diaper cream on your diaper and need to get it off. But if you are having stink issues and need to remove soap build up why on earth would you add Dawn to the mix. I know many moms use it, swear by it and get really heated about this. That's ok, you can use what works for you but it is not necessary and I don't have the time to mess around with rinsing all the Dawn out of my diapers. Using dishsoap in your wash machine can also void your warranty too so keep that in mind if you have a new machine.

2. Tide

This is touchy. I know many people use and love Tide I get that, I don't use, love or recommend it usually. I stopped using it for moral reasons and have kept from using it because it turns out my youngest is sensitive to it. He breaks out in blisters if he is exposed to fabric washed in it.
Tide is full of additives and harsh chemicals that can cause cancer and genetic disorders. I cloth diaper to be  green and help the planet so why would I dump poison into the water each time I wash laundry? I don't mind if you use Tide, it is your decision. It does drive me insane when people behave as if Tide was the Holy Grail, The end all be all of detergents. It's not. You can cloth diaper without stains, stink or issues and not use Tide.

and finally:

1. When Bloggers suggest outrageous and unsafe things to do with your diapers. This would include using Fish Tank Ammonia Remover for stink and Iron Out for stains. I am baffled that so many people follow blogs and never take a second to look into things a bit deeper. Do you know what is in the product you are about to use on clothing that goes against the most sensitive area on your baby? Do you know the side effects of exposure to these ingredients? Do you know what happens when these things get dumped into the waterways? Is it tested safe for human use? You don't know? Then don't use it! You need to be an educated consumer and know what it is you are buying into.
You should do some homework too because I have come across cloth experts who never cloth diaper they just repeat what they read on other blogs, or ones who only cloth diapered part time for a few months, quit, but are now dishing out advice.

These are my top 5, what are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment