Monday 20 May 2013

K.I. Baby Blues

After the first few months of cloth diapers a friend introduced me to WAHM diapers and covers. A WAHM is a Work At Home Mom. Most of these ladies have online stores set up with Etsy, Hyena Cart of facebook. One of the very first WAHM products I ever got my hands on were fleece covers made by K.I. Baby Blues. K.I. Baby Blues operates mostly on facebook and she makes fleece and wool covers, shorties and longies and other fleece and wool items.

Fleece covers, shorties and longies are basically a fleece diaper cover. Fleece is easy to care for, after each use just toss into the wash with your other diapers. You do not need to lanolize it the way you need to with wool. It is a synthetic material but it allows for better air circulation than the traditional PUL diaper cover.

 
This is one of her fleece soakers. It fits like a diaper cover over a fitted or a snappied prefold. I use these overnight over my Sandy's fitteds or my Little Fancy Pants fitteds. 
 
 
 

On the inside there are 2 options. She can make them as a single layer of fleece and extra reinforcement in the wet zone or she can make them like this, with a double layer of fleece. I like mine with a double layer because my son is a really heavy wetter overnight. He also sleeps about 11-13 hours. I have never had a leak with these. I love how soft they are.
 
 
Here is an example of her wool soaker. This is made out of a wool sweater and it has extra reinforcements in the wet zone.
 
 
The soaker comes to you ready to use. Because it is wool it needs special washing and lanolizing. You can't just toss this into your washer the way you can with fleece. Wool is a natural fibre, is naturally antibacterial and it can hold up to 30% of it's weight in fluids. Wool also helps control the temperature around your baby's bottom. This makes wool a great choice for summer time.
 
To order from K.I. Baby Blues check out her facebook page with all her fabric options. You select the fabric, the colour of the waist bands, the height of the waist band and the size. She provides excellent customer service and stays in touch with you through out the process. My son is really tall in the torso and not only did she make my soakers based on my sons measurements she also went above and beyond and found me specific fabric.  Her turn around is a few weeks because I am in the far north and she is in the US but these are well worth the wait. The soakers are under $10-12 plus shipping and that is a really great price, especially for the quality. I cannot say enough nice things about these.
 
Here is my little man in his custom Finding Nemo soaker, all ready for bed.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment