Tuesday 7 May 2013

Cloth Diapers meet the Older Sibling

So I often hear moms on cloth diaper groups talk about "daddy friendly" diapers and getting hubby on board and all that. Well let me tell you some of my best cloth stories don't involve my husband. They involve my 11 year old daughter.

She is a big environmentalist. She organizes garbage clean up days, Earth Day projects, she advocates for animal rights (she is 1 reason Tide no longer lives here) and I dare you to say anything bad about Paul Watson and the Sea Shepherds in her presence.  She was totally into the cloth diaper idea. Now she has actually called dibs on some of her brothers diapers for when he is done with them. She has also tried to get me to buy diapers for my son because they would go well with the décor in her room....  hmm  don't know about that one.

In the beginning she was a little nervous about changing diapers in general. For her I had my trusty BumGenius 4.0 pockets and Freetimes with Velcro. Well then she got a hang of it and it was all good. She didn't do poopy diapers though. 

One day she was playing with her brother and I hoped in the shower. She comes and tells me he needs a change and that she can do it as long as it is a pee diaper. I said OK go for it.  a second or two later I hear "MOM!!!!!!!   HELP!!!!!!" I am thinking O my God the baby fell or something awful happened. So out I jump from the shower with shampoo on my head grab a towel and go running into the nursery. To find what?  Well a confused looking baby on the change table with his diaper half off with his sister looking mighty green beside him. Turns out as she was opening his diaper he was in the middle of a poop. A big one! Yup he pooped on her hand as she was wiping his bum. I can't NOT laugh... then she says in a most matter of fact manner " This child S**T on me!"  Not poop, crap, doodoo, nope s**t.  At that I lost it. I was laughing so hard I cried.

After a few more months she decided that poopies were not that bad after all. Maybe because we started solids so they were more plopable. Or because she liked the diaper sprayer. She insisted on spraying all the poopy diapers. Hey not arguing with that one. One time she was doing just that as I was getting baby dressed to go out and I hear a scream from the bathroom and we go running in. She had the head of the sprayer pointed so that when it sprayed it sprayed the wall not the diaper.  So she cleaned my bathroom wall but not the poopy diaper. 

In general I have to say I am blessed with an amazing girl, after all how many sisters get pooped on and then go back for more diaper changes?

If you have any stories about older siblings with cloth diapers please share. Someday's we just need  a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment