Thursday 7 February 2013

Enzymes, and Brighteners, and Dyes, Oh my!

So if you ask what detergent you should use on your diapers you will get about a thousand replies. So what is a new cloth diapering family to do?  Well there are things you should stay away from in your detergent.  Enzymes, brighteners, dyes and fragrance can cause irritation in babies and softeners reduce absorption in diapers.  The detergent that you decide to go with must work for you. If a detergent is working well and you are happy with the results then by all means stick with it. If something is working then don't fix it.

I have used several cloth diaper safe detergents and a few not cloth diaper safe ones, and I am still in the process of testing some more, here are my findings on the ones I have tried to date:

Nature Clean
It is made by a Canadian company without Enzymes, Brighteners, Dyes, Fragrance, Phosphates and SLS.  This detergent is cloth diaper safe and is available in a liquid and a powder format. I prefer the powder format but they both do a really great job. I had no stains or smell issues while using this detergent. It works well in all water temperatures. I did find that the powder made some of my natural fibre diapers a bit stiff because it is made with corn starch based ingredients. You can soften up stiff diapers by throwing them into the dryer on low for a few minutes after you take them off the line. This would be one of my top recommendations. It is readily available at most Loblaws grocery stores.


BumGenius Detergent
This is made by the makers of Country Save. It contains no enzymes, brighteners, dyes, fragrance, phosphates or SLS. It is made specifically to work with cloth diapers. I found it does a really great job on diapers. I do use 2 scoops per load as I have hard water and a top loading machine. It is available at most on line cloth diaper retailers. I found this worked well in hot and warm water but you should dissolve it in warm water if you are using it in cold water.



Rockin Green
Made to work specially with cloth diapers. This is one of the most recommended cloth diaper detergents available. It comes in 3 formulas made for soft, regular, or hard water. You really need to know where your water sits so that you get the correct formula. It works awesome. It is a bit more expensive and you have to order it on line but a bag really lasts a long time. I really like this detergent and I was very impressed with the customer service provided by Rockin Green. They will work with you one on one to trouble shoot any issues you may run into.

Nellie's Laundry Soda

My son is sensitive to most coconut based ingredients so unfortunately we got a reaction with this detergent. It is also a Canadian Company and it is an all natural detergent.  I was not too blown away with how it did on stains but stains can be sunned out. I do like that it dissolves well in cold water so if you are washing in warm or cold this would be on my suggestion list. I did like how it did on my regular laundry. This is a cloth diaper safe detergent.



Country Save

This is by far my favourite! It works amazingly well on both diapers and regular laundry. Out of all the detergents this is the cheapest at $5.99 per 40 load box. It contains no additives and is 100% natural. I had no stains, no smells and nothing but clean diapers with this detergent. I do dissolve it in warm water before adding it to my load regardless of the temperature of the wash. I have slightly hard water and this stuff rocks in hard water even if you are washing in cold water. I am switching over to this full time. This is a cloth diaper safe detergent and it seems to be one of the most recommended ones out there.







Seventh Generation Free and Clear

This detergent received some mixed reviews. Some moms LOVE it and would never use anything else others say that they got major stinkies with it after a short while. I found that I was not happy with how it did on stains in my water conditions. I would use this if I had nothing else available but this would not be my regular diaper detergent. Honestly I was not too impressed with how it did on my regular laundry either. It does contain enzymes and it can void some diaper warranties.


Tide

I know, it has all those things you are told to stay away from. That being said it did get voted cloth diaper detergent of the year in 2012 on the Padded Tush Stats and it is recommended by a few cloth diaper manufacturers. Lots of moms swear by it and it does rinse out quite well. I was a Tide user all my life up until I started to cloth diaper. I did use this on my diapers for the first while and I was happy with the results. No stains, no stinkies and no rashes. That being said lots of babies are sensitive to it and it will void some diaper warranties as it is not considered cloth diaper safe. I have decided to switch over to natural detergents since I cloth diaper more for environmental reasons than anything else. I feel that if I am trying to be more environmentally friendly by reusing diapers I shouldn't add chemicals into the waterways. I did find that it worked better than other detergents that I have tried in cold water washing. If you are limited in detergent choices I would say give this a go before any of the other mainstream brands like Sunlight and Purex.

Regardless of what detergent you decide on the key is that it works for your water and you are happy with the end result. Clean diapers are not optional, they are a MUST!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment