Wednesday 30 January 2013

Mornings Stink

So the whole time I have been using cloth diapers I have never had stinky diaper issues except once when I was testing out a new detergent and it wasn't really cutting it. Now that my little man is sleeping about 12 hours overnight (sorry moms) his morning diapers are STINKY!

No real surprise though. He is in a diaper for 12 hours and all that pee has 12 hours to crystalize and become stinky.  I figured whatever it'll wash out clean. Well it doesn't always. Especially my fitteds. It seems that they need a bit of extra TLC to get them clean and ammonia smell free.  Fear not though you have options!

1. Funk Rock by Rockin Green

This is made by the folks who make Rockin Green cloth diaper detergent. It is an ammonia bouncer that can be used to soak your diapers in occasionally or added to your pre-wash step. The instructed amount to use in the prewash is 1 TBSP. This works really awesome the only issue I have is it costs about $22-24 plus shipping for a 30 load bag. So add that to the cost of your cloth detergent and OUCH!





2. BumGenius Odour Remover


This is made by cottonbabies/bumGenius. It is an all natural odour remover made with vegetable based ingredients.  You are to spray all your diapers before storing them in the diaper pail to neutralize the ammonia odour. I have used this on a couple of occasions I honestly can't see it making a difference. I know some moms swear by it though.
3. Rinse your diapers
 
This is my #1 go to method.  In the morning I rinse my overnight diapers in the tub with warm water before I toss it into my pail. I remove any solids if any first of course. This works like a charm. I have not had any issues with stinky overnight diapers since I started doing this. Since our diaper pail is in the bathroom I started rinsing all my diapers off with my diaper sprayer before I toss them in. I have literally no odour in my bathroom and I do not need any additives. My husband, who was at first worried that cloth diapers would smell, is now a poster boy for cloth stinks less!

No comments:

Post a Comment